the one by two kitchen
blog is a collection of homemade recipes and postings of food that I love and adore. Most of the recipes are very homemade-y, easy to make (no longer a Uni student but a workaholic graduate now) and most importantly - look and taste good. Enjoy browsing and trying out the recipes.

PS: Follow or subscribe to the blog and use the Archives links for more recipes!
*I last updated this blog on: 3 February 2012! Check the one by two kitchen homepage


Friday 11 June 2010

Chocolate Konyaku with Whiskey Fla Sauce


Sssssh! This is one of the world's worst kept secret dessert recipe! The recipe's simplicity and the extreme tastefulness make this recipe the perfect dessert to awe your guests away (proven on my guests, at least!)


I believe Konyaku jelly originated from Japan, and I plainly love the bouncy texture. Konyaku is different from Agar jelly though, as Agar jelly is harder and crunchier than Konyaku. So yeah in a way - both of them are good - but to AWE your guests - I'd go for Konyaku instant jelly instead. I'll post another recipe about Chocolate Agar Pudding later (not the British 'pudding'!)

So - coming back to Konyaku chocolate jelly. I'm a big, proper, and monstrous fan of chocolates. I wasn't before I came to England though! After setting my feet here and discovering the so many ranges of chocolates, I instantly fell in love with them! Now, I have huge problems whenever I have to pass Hotel Chocolat store cos most probably I will exit the store with 2 bags and a guilty face.

The Konyaku jelly that I use is an Indonesian branded one. It's instant and very easy to use.


Please prepare a Jelly Mould (or any mould will do - preferably round big tin mould or in the one by two kitchen's simple case: a rounded bowl!)

Ingredients:

- For Konyaku chocolate jelly
  1. One sachet of Konyaku chocolate instant jelly (mine is Nutrijell from Indonesia)
  2. 750 ml of water
  3. One cup of sugar
- For Whiskey Fla Sauce
  1. One and a half cup of semi-skimmed milk
  2. Four tablespoons of whiskey (can be substituted to rum)
  3. Approximately three tablespoons of sugar
  4. Corn starch/instant granuling powder
  5. One middle-sized egg yolk, remove the whites
  6. Cinnamon powder
How to Prepare:

- For Konyaku chocolate jelly
  1. Pour the Konyaku chocolate jelly powder to the pan, pour the 750 ml water and stir until smooth
  2. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir occasionally
  3. Pour the mixture to the mould, let it cool before preparing the whiskey fla sauce
- For Whiskey Fla Sauce
  1. Pour the milk to the pan, add the egg yolk and stir
  2. Pour the sugar in and stir
  3. Heat the mixture and stir; add one tablespoon of cornstarch
  4. Wait until the mixture comes to boil while slowly adding tablespoons of cornstarch (Note: the mixture will get very HEAVY with moderate amount of cornstarch, please wait until the mixture picks up the heat to determine the sauce's thickness!)
  5. Flip the Konyaku jelly (or get the jelly out of the mould) and pour the fla sauce over the top of the jelly
  6. Let the sauce cools and sets on the jelly
  7. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder
  8. Serve!
P.S.: I think what makes this recipe distinctive and unique and appealing to the guests is the whiskey fla or sauce.

For people who does not want alcohol, you can substitute the whiskey with rum flavouring or almond extract!

LOVE. the one by two kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. I think try to make this together with friends sounds fun!
    I'm gonna ask my friends to come cook together and you'll be our help

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey rachel yes definitely. just make a date out of it, I'll email you soon! :) check your email inbox..

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! it looks very tempting! Think i'll try making these :)
    -sibylle-

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey sibylle i will help u make this dessert when i'm back home, what do you think!

    ReplyDelete

Strictly NO spamming! Comments are moderated and so spams and irrelevant/abusive comments will be deleted.