the one by two kitchen
blog is a collection of homemade recipes and postings of food that I love and adore. Most of the recipes are very homemade-y, easy to make (no longer a Uni student but a workaholic graduate now) and most importantly - look and taste good. Enjoy browsing and trying out the recipes.

PS: Follow or subscribe to the blog and use the Archives links for more recipes!
*I last updated this blog on: 3 February 2012! Check the one by two kitchen homepage


Friday 11 June 2010

Steamed Salmon Teriyaki with Cheese: a mix between the east and the west!



I don't normally post two recipes in a day (to give time for my blog to grow and for people to read) but because a very good acquaintance of mine, Olivia, asked me today to post the recipe for this from my FB album, I am posting it for her and for my readers too!


I love cooking salmons (and eating them too, of course). Ever since I got to the UK, salmons are half the price that I used to pay while I was in Asia, and so salmons always get on top of my shopping list. Usually whenever I go to my favourite supermarket, Sainsbury's, I absent-mindedly reach out to the seafood rack and grab two packs of skinless and boneless salmon (although later on I find that with a cheaper price, I can get a boneless but not skinless salmon).

Cheese, although is nothing particularly new to me, is pretty new when suddenly the supermarket has one aisle dedicated to them! I know Mozzarella and Cheddar, but I have no idea what Gouda or Leicester cheese are when I first arrived in the UK! So I have been doing so many cheese tasting (on my own), and I found tastes that I like and tastes that I would avoid as well. One of the cheeses that I will be using in this recipe is the black-peppered cheese, which I like because of the hot pepper sensation. The cheese is mild and not that matured and thus it will melt away beautifully when steamed.

I have a huge passion for Teriyaki sauce too, because I believe Teriyaki sauce is one of the sauces that I encountered when I first started learning to cook by myself in Singapore. This recipe is hugely influenced by my mom, who loves everything simple, tasty and homemade-y. Kudos to her for inspiring so many recipes that you will find in the one by two kitchen's album.

Oh and if anyone realises - I grew up in a place where 5-in-a-day was very encouraged and thus I tried incorporating a lot of them (except for the carbs, because to be honest I am an avid South-Beach Dieter).


Please note that a steamer will be needed, as well as a rounded bowl or a bowl to be used in the steamer.

Ingredients:
  1. One approximately 250 gram fillet of salmon, skinless and boneless (boneless but not skinless is acceptable too)
  2. Lettuce (preferably round lettuce)
  3. White cup mushrooms (approximately 4)
  4. Spring onions (1 or 2)
  5. One slice of black-peppered cheese
  6. Teriyaki sauce (preferably Kikoman)
How to Prepare:
  1. Arrange a bed of lettuce leaves on the base of the rounded bowl
  2. Slice the salmon fillet to around 5 or 6 chunky cubes, and arrange them on the bowl
  3. Arrange the white cup mushrooms, alternating them with the salmon fillet (purely for aesthetic reason)
  4. Chop the spring onions and sprinkle them above the salmon and the mushrooms
  5. Pour teriyaki sauce over the bowl, around one and a half round of pouring will be sufficient
  6. If you like it spicy, pour over chilli powders on top of the bowl
  7. Put the bowl to the steamer and after the water boils - give 8 to 10 minutes or until the salmon turns opaque and the water from the steamer has condensed to the bowl and mixed with the teriyaki sauce to create a soup-like mixture
  8. Place the cheese over the dish, steam for around 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted
  9. Carefully move the bowl out of the steamer and serve warm
NOTE about salmons: salmon's skins will be easily removed once they are cooked - so don't sweat over it!

LOVE. the one by two kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! this one looks appealing to me. can you post some food without vegetables? A little amount of veggie is accepted though..but not the major part of the dish. thx lots ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. michhhh.. thank you so much yahhh...love it love it... cc mo bikin pake peppered cheese yg low fat ahhh...love ya, keep posting!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel! It's sad that you don't fancy much veggies! Veggies are good! I'm gonna cook loads for you when I get back ;)

    And thanks ci Olive ;)

    ReplyDelete

Strictly NO spamming! Comments are moderated and so spams and irrelevant/abusive comments will be deleted.